Abuse is the attempt by one person to control another using fear, violence or intimidation.
Abuse is not just physical. It may also be emotional, sexual and financial.
- Punching, kicking, shoving or dragging
- Slapping, biting or pulling your hair
- Holding you against your will
- Using a weapon or other objects to threaten or hurt you
- Threatening to take your children away from you
- Threatening to commit suicide or murder
- Threatening to withdraw immigration sponsorship or to have you deported
- Controlling your time, what you do, how you dress and how you wear your hair
- Always swearing at you, calling you crazy, fat, dumb and stupid
Sexual Abuse is:
- Sexual acts with children
- Not letting you say “no” to sex
- Unwanted touching
- Sexual Harassment
- Forcing you to watch pornography
- Controlling how you spend money, where you work
- Spending all family money including your money or savings
- Using credit cards without your permission; destroying your credit rating
- Forcing you to turn over your benefit payments
- Forcing you to account for every penny
It is a crime to abuse someone physically or sexually!